Coronavirus update: France on alert for second wave, Donald Trump signs emergency law and cricket tests postponed

0
104


Update

April 25, 2020 12:31:52

A Food Bank volunteer hands over bags of food to a woman.

Photo:


A record 26 million people are unemployed in the United States, largely due to the pandemic. (AP: Frank Franklin II)

France will keep the newly built intensive care units open as it prepares to deal with a second wave of coronavirus infections, the country’s health authority said.

The country has been hit hard by the pandemic, with nearly 160,000 confirmed cases and more than 22,200 deaths.

The death toll in the United States has surpassed 50,000 as President Donald Trump signed a $ 750 billion rescue plan, the fourth of its kind so far in this pandemic.

This story is updated regularly throughout Saturday. You can also stay informed of the latest episode of the Coronacast podcast.

The key moments of Saturday:

Trump says he was “sarcastic” with disinfectant theory

US President Donald Trump says his widely ridiculed comments the possible use of disinfectant in people’s bodies to combat COVID-19 was sarcastic.

Trump said at a press conference on Thursday that scientists should investigate whether the insertion of light or disinfectant into the bodies of coronavirus patients could help treat COVID-19, the respiratory disease caused by the virus.

“I see the disinfectant, it knocks it out in a minute, a minute and is it possible to do something like that by injection inside or almost a cleaning, because you see that it gets into the lungs and that it makes a huge number on the lungs, “he said.

The next day, Mr. Trump sought to revert to these comments while appearing to continue to advance his theory that disinfectants and sunlight could ultimately help the body.

” I was sarcastically ask a question to journalists like you just to see what would happen, “he said.

The president’s comments prompted the manufacturer of Dettol to issue a statement saying “in no case should our disinfectants be administered into the human body”.

Australia’s chief medical officer Brendan Murphy has warned that the disinfectant injection could be “quite toxic”.

Health care professionals have been encouraging people for some time to wash their hands thoroughly with soap or to use a hand sanitizer to help stop the spread of the virus.

Videos of the President’s comments have gone viral, drawing thousands of comments and shares to Twitter.

Twitter Inc said the videos did not violate its COVID-19 disinformation policy because the company considered Trump’s remarks call for treatment for COVID-19, rather than a literal call for people to inject disinfectant.

The social media site then blocked the “InjectDisinfectant” and “InjectingDisinfectant” trends.

Death toll in the US exceeds 50,000 as Donald Trump signs $ 750 billion virus protection law

a man wearing a face mask stands in front of a sign that says

Photo:


Georgia is one of a handful of American states to take the first interim measures of reopening. (AP Photo / Ron Harris)

The death toll in the United States now exceeds 50,000, according to data from Johns Hopkins University. More than 3,000 of these have occurred in the past 24 hours.

The number of cases in the United States is now over 875,000, although parts of the United States are reopening after weeks of foreclosure.

Gyms, hair salons, tattoo parlors and some other businesses were allowed to open by Georgia Governor Brian Kemp, who ignored warnings from public health officials that easing restrictions could lead to more infections and death. Oklahoma, Alaska and a number of other states have also taken steps to reopen.

Overnight, President Donald Trump signed a $ 484 billion ($ 758 billion) draft coronavirus law.

The package provides funding to small businesses and hospitals grappling with the economic toll of a pandemic that resulted in the record loss of 26 million people, wiping out all the jobs created during the longest employment boom in the history of the United States.

This is the fourth bill passed in the United States to deal with the coronavirus crisis.

World leaders launch WHO COVID-19 plan, but US will not participate

Two CSIRO scientists in full protective gear - one using a computer, the other using a microscope - at the Animal Health Laboratory.

Photo:


World leaders are expected to launch a global initiative to accelerate work on COVID-19 drugs, tests and vaccines. (Provided: CSIRO)

French President Emmanuel Macron, German Chancellor Angela Merkel and South African President Cyril Ramaphosa are among dozens of leaders around the world who have pledged to support a global initiative to accelerate work to combat COVID-19, according to the World Health Organization.

WHO has called this initiative “historic collaboration” to accelerate the development of safe and effective drugs, tests and vaccines to prevent, diagnose and treat COVID-19.

The virtual meeting, however, lacked a major world power – the United States.

“There will be no official US participation,” said a spokesperson for the US mission in Geneva.

“We look forward to hearing more about this initiative in support of international cooperation to develop a vaccine for COVID-19 as soon as possible. “

Macron urged everyone, including the United States and China, to support WHO’s engagement.

“We will now continue to mobilize all G7 and G20 countries to support this initiative. And I hope that we will succeed in reconciling ourselves around this joint initiative, both China and the United States, because it means saying: the fight against COVID-19 is a common human good and it should not be there have division to win this battle, “said Mr. Macron.

US President Donald Trump lambasted WHO for being slow to respond to the epidemic and “focused on China,” and announced a suspension of funding.

Tasmania records another death

A 90-year-old man from the northwest coast of Tasmania has become the 10th person to die from a coronavirus.

Prime Minister Peter Gutwein said in a statement that the man, who was being treated at Mersey Community Hospital, died yesterday.

Nine of the COVID-19 deaths in the state are from the northwest of the state.

Australia recorded more than 6,600 cases and 80 deaths of the virus.

Plasma testing begins in Britain

Plasma donor to the Australian Red Cross Blood Service

Photo:


Trials to see if plasma from recovered COVID-19 patients helps fight the virus in critically ill patients should begin. (PAA: Angela Brkic, archive photo)

People who have recovered from COVID-19 in Great Britain will be invited to plasma donors to assist in trials to treat sick patients.

The country’s health department said up to 5,000 critically ill patients could soon be treated with plasma every week as part of a new approach to treating the virus.

Plasma from patients recovered from COVID-19 could help patients who are struggling to produce their own antibodies to fight the virus, the department said.

So-called convalescent plasma was used as an effective treatment during the 2002-2004 SARS epidemic.

“I have every hope that this treatment will be an important step in our fight against this disease,” said UK Health Minister Matt Hancock.

There have been more than 144,600 confirmed cases and 19,506 deaths coronavirus in the UK.

France remains “vigilant” while waiting for the second wave

Two men in the blue mask take a selfie near the Eiffel Tower.

Photo:


France has extended its home stay order until May 11 to slow the spread of the COVID-19 pandemic. (AP: Michel Euler)

France plans to prepare thousands of new intensive care units a second wave virus cases, even if the first wave recedes.

Health officials said the country had doubled its number of intensive care beds to more than 10,000 as the virus spread across the country.

“We must keep the beds if the epidemic returns,” said director of the national health agency Jerome Salomon.

“We must maintain a vigilant posture. “

There are less than 5,000 people in intensive care with the virus.

France has nearly 160,000 cases and recorded over 22,200 dead coronavirus.

French authorities have said that restaurants, bars and cafes will not open until June.

Anzac Dawn services in aisles across Australia and the NZ

a group of people in the fire department stand on a street afraid that they will forget chalk writing

Photo:


Residents of Clara Street, Macleod meet at dawn on Anzac Day in Melbourne. (PAA: Scott Barbour)

Australians scored Anzac Day from the aisles and verandas after the ceremonies have been closed to the public or canceled due to a coronavirus.

The National Commemorative Dawn Service, with a handful of leaders and veterans present, was broadcast across the country from the Australian War Memorial in Canberra.

The Australians were asked to mark the occasion in their aisles with a light.

Prime Minister Scott Morrison, who delivered the memorial speech, spoke about the impact of the coronavirus.

He said it was not the first time that the traditions of Anzac Day had been interrupted and although quieter than usual, it was no less significant.

“This year our traditions of Anzac Day have been interrupted, but not for the first time,” he said.

“On Anzac 1919, the first day after the Great War, there were no marches or parades in the city for returning veterans because the Australians were fighting the Spanish flu pandemic. Although our streets are empty, they have not been forgotten. “

Usually thousands of people attend dawn services or marches on April 25 in Australia and New Zealand to commemorate the bloody battle of Gallipoli.

New Zealand Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern stood on his driveway with his family.

“This year, a new threat threatens all nations as the impact of the coronavirus intensifies worldwide,” said Ardern in a statement.

“As we face these important challenges, we remember the courage of those who served in the name of peace and justice. “

Recoveries in Spain are more numerous than diagnoses

For the first time since the start of the coronavirus epidemic in Spain, more people are diagnosed as healed than those who fall ill, authorities say.

In the past 24 hours, 2,796 new infections have been confirmed, while 3,105 have overcome the infection.

“With all our efforts, the course of the epidemic is obviously starting to be where it should be,” said Fernando Simón, “said the coordinator of the Ministry of Health emergency center.

Spain has registered 367 new deaths from coronavirus patients, for a total of 22,524.

West Indies and England test series canceled

Shannon Gabriel looks to his left towards Joe Root, who turned to Gabriel.

Photo:


The organizers are trying to determine when the series of three tests between England and the West Indies can take place. (Reuters: Paul Childs)

The Antilles-England cricket series in three tests in June was postponed because of the new coronavirus epidemic, says Cricket West Indies.

The decision to postpone the tour was made uncertainty continued on the resumption of sport safely in Britain and international air travel.

Cricket West Indies general manager Johnny Grave said the organizers would be in regular contact to determine when and how the series could be played.

“Clearly playing in June is no longer possible and we will continue our discussions with the ECB (England and Wales Cricket Board) and other international boards to try to find new dates,” said Grave.

“We will only travel to England to play the series if our players can be sure it is safe. “

No deaths in South Korea in the past 24 hours, officials say

Workers testing suits looking at cars

Photo:


South Korea led a extensive testing campaign and intensive contact monitoring to combat the spread of the coronavirus. (Reuters: Kim Kyung-Hoon)

South Korea has not reported any new coronavirus deaths in the past 24 hours – the first time in more than a month.

Only six new cases were reported on Friday.

Officials hope the number of cases could also drop to zero in the coming days.

South Korea has been praised for its approach to the fight against coronaviruses, after an epidemic in Daegu which saw its number explode.

The country has largely succeeded in controlling it without major disruption thanks to an extensive test campaign and intensive contact tracing, which has received praise from the World Health Organization and other countries.

The government has set guidelines for a return to normal in two years, but says it will depend on social distance.

South Korea has a total of 10,708 confirmed cases, with 240 deaths.

Climate activists leave shoes behind as a sign of protest in Switzerland

rows of pairs of shoes are spaced in a public square. Three people stand behind them, holding a banner.

Photo:


Last year was the hottest on record in Europe, according to an EU study released this week. (Reuters / Arnd Wiegmann)

Green activists have placed rows of shoes in central Zurich to mark the place for protesters who normally travel in person every week to demand action on climate change.

The organizers said they wanted to make their point while respecting the current restrictions on public gatherings.

A handful of people stood in the background, holding banners that read “Wake up: Climate Action Now” and “Crisis is Crisis” before being dispersed by police without incident.

Greta Thunberg, the activist who founded the global “Fridays for the Future” protest movement, agreed that protesters needed to change tactics.

“Today we had planned a global climate strike in which millions of people would participate. But in an emergency, you have to adapt and change your behavior, “she tweeted.

She said at an Earth Day event earlier this week that countries have the opportunity to choose a new path as they begin to return to normal after the coronavirus lockdown.

Prohibited demonstration in Vienna against coronavirus lockdown attracts 200 people

A woman wearing a clown nose and face covered in a bandana surrounded by soldiers wearing masks.

Photo:


Some Austrians demonstrated against anti-coronavirus measures taken by the Austrian government. (Reuters: Leonhard Foeger)

A crowd of around 200 people defied a police ban on gathering in central Vienna to protest against the confinement of the coronavirus in Austria.

The restrictions, in place for more than a month, have seen bars, restaurants, schools and non-essential stores closed.

Some stores were however reopened last week in a first relaxation of the borders.

The organizers of the demonstration, the Initiative for Evidence-Based Corona Information (ICI), want an end to the blocking.

They argue, among other things, that wearing face masks and fabric equivalents that are mandatory in stores and on public transportation is counterproductive.

After watching for an hour, the police dispersed the crowd, verifying the identity of those who remained. There has been an arrest, said a spokesperson.

HERE urged people to abide by the ban on Friday’s event, but said it would record “a new bigger demo” in a week.

Austria has reported a total of 15,071 confirmed cases and 530 deaths from coronaviruses.

Belgium announces easing of restrictions

Belgium plans to start easing restrictions on coronaviruses from May 4 a gradual reopening during the month.

Restrictions in the country only allow the opening of food stores, home improvement stores, garden centers and pharmacies, with most people only allowed to work from home.

Prime Minister Sophie Wilmes has said that Belgium will either tighten restrictions or delay easing depending on the situation.

“Now is the time to look to the future,” she said.

“But COVID has not disappeared, the virus is still with us and it is dangerous for the population. It is absolutely essential that safety precautions are observed during the disposal period. “

Belgium will have to run 25,000 to 30,000 tests a day to break out of the lockout, she said.

Part of the easing of restrictions will include allowing more businesses to open and allowing people to meet two people outside of their surroundings.

Belgium has 44,293 confirmed cases of COVID-19 and 6,679 deaths.

Taliban reject call for Ramadan ceasefire

Taliban fighters in Afghanistan

Photo:


The Taliban refused a request by the Afghan government to lay down its arms during the holy month of Ramadan (file photo). (Reuters, file photo)

The Taliban have rejected an Afghan government call for a ceasefire for the holy Muslim month of Ramadan and to let the authorities focus on the fight against the coronavirus, which raises new concerns about the prospects for a process. of fragile peace.

The hope of ending the decades of war in Afghanistan was raised in late February when the Taliban and the United States reached an agreement on the withdrawal of foreign forces led by the United States in return for guarantees of security by the Taliban.

But the agreement did not include a ceasefire, which was left to the US-backed government to negotiate with the insurgents.

Taliban spokesperson Suhail Shaheen said in a Twitter message that a ceasefire would be possible if the peace process was implemented “fully” but “the obstacles” meant the Taliban would not testify not yet have their weapons.

President Ashraf Ghani called for a ceasefire for Ramadan and to allow the country to focus on what he called a new critical epidemic of coronavirus spreading across the country.

Afghanistan has detected more than 1,300 cases of the virus, but health experts say the number may be higher as tests are limited and Afghanistan’s fragile health system is struggling to cope. generalized epidemic.

ABC / Son

What you should know about coronavirus:

The subjects:

infectious-other diseases,

respiratory diseases,

covid-19

Published for the first time

April 25, 2020 05:35:28



LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here