Coronavirus: Tottenham stadium to offer services to NHS after criticizing club response to COVID-19 | UK News

0
117


Tottenham Hotspur stadium has started offering maternity and prenatal services as the Premier League club helps free up space for a local hospital to deal with the coronavirus crisis.

Starting Tuesday, pregnancy scans, prenatal clinics, a mothers day unit and a range of support services will be hosted at the stadium after being transferred from the nearby North Middlesex University Hospital.

It will free up hospital capacity and ensure that pregnant women can stay away from the main hospital site during the COVID-19 pandemic, if they only require routine antenatal care.

It comes after Tottenham’s broader response to the coronavirus The crisis has been heavily criticized, with some of the club’s players angry at the measures taken by President Daniel Levy.

File photo dated 19-03-2020 of the general view of the Tottenham Hotspur stadium
Picture:
North London club had been heavily criticized for its broader response to coronaviruses

Officially known as Tottenham Hotspur Stadium, the new club grounds were built on the site of their former White Hart Lane stadium at an estimated cost of £ 850m to £ 1bn and opened in April of last year.

The stadium, which has now had a major section reallocated to provide NHS services, is one mile from North Middlesex University Hospital.

A mothers day unit has been installed in what is usually one of the locker rooms when the stadium hosts American football matches, while the area where players normally conduct television interviews after matches will be used as a meeting room. consultation and scanning.

Since last week, it has already become the first Premier League stadium to be used as a site for NHS personnel to test on COVID-19.

Each day, up to 70 healthcare workers can be tested in the stadium driving service.

How Tottenham Hotspur Stadium is reorganized to offer NHS services Pic: Twitter / @ SpursOfficial
Picture:
How the Tottenham Hotspur Stadium is reorganized to offer NHS services. Photo: Twitter / @ SpursOfficial

Maria Kane, Executive Director of North Middlesex University Hospital, said: “We are very grateful to Tottenham Hotspur for providing their wonderful facilities for our staff, our patients and the local community during these difficult times. “

On Easter Monday, Tottenham President Daniel Levy announced a reversal from his previous decision to ask taxpayers for money to pay non-player staff during the coronavirus crisis.

Earlier this month, Levy said he cut the salaries of 550 non-player Tottenham staff by 20% and request the government’s job retention program “where appropriate” to pay the remaining 80% of the salaries of staff on leave.

The action was announced the same day, it was revealed that Mr. Levy had won a £ 3 million bonus last year, as part of his £ 7 million earnings, and after Tottenham announced record revenues of £ 461 million.

This has sparked widespread anger – including from club fans – and calls on Tottenham to first cut the salaries of their highly paid players before seeking taxpayer dollars to pay other staff.

File photo dated 23-12-2018 of Tottenham president Daniel Levy, who has received a $ 3 million bonus for the delivery of the new club stadium.
Picture:
Daniel Levy received a £ 3 million bonus for the delivery of the new club stadium.

Club criticism intensified after Tottenham manager Jose Mourinho was then photographed flouting government guidelines on coronaviruses by meeting with midfielder Tanguy Ndombele for an individual training session.

Levy has now overturned his decision to cut the salaries of non-player staff, all of whom – whether full-time, casual or on leave – are now receiving 100% of their salary for April and May.

Only the club’s board of directors will see their salaries reduced.

:: Listen to the Daily podcast on Apple Podcasts, Google Podcasts, Spotify, Spreaker

Mr. Levy’s initial action would have upset some of the club’s players.

Former English player Gary Neville said Sky Sports News that Tottenham forward Harry Kane’s recent admission that he could leave the club could have been prompted by Mr. Levy’s initial action.



LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here