Some of these victims have no underlying health problems and required intensive care.
At a press conference in Geneva yesterday, Dr Maria Van Kerkhove, WHO technical officer on coronaviruses, said: “We are seeing more and more young people suffering from a serious illness.
“I must say that, overall, most of the people with serious illnesses who end up in intensive care are older people and people with underlying illnesses.
Do you have a coronavirus story to share? Email [email protected]
“But what we see in some countries, people in their thirties, forties and fifties who are in intensive care units and who have died. “
Ismail Mohamed Abdulwahab, 13, and Luca Di Nicola, 19, both died after being infected with the virus in the UK last week.
These are two of the more than 4,300 people in the country who died after contracting Covid-19.
Ismail, of Brixton, south London, developed his first symptoms on March 26 and was rushed to King’s College Hospital after having difficulty breathing.
His relatives said the next day that he had tested positive for COVID-19 and that he had been put on a fan.
But the boy died in the early hours of Monday morning, and his family said they were “beyond the devastation.”
An appeal to help finance his funeral has been launched by his brother and has already reached £ 24,000.
And Mr. Di Nicola, a chef from Nereto, Italy, also had no underlying health issues.
Coronavirus self-isolating hacks
He was transported to North Middlesex Hospital, north London, but died 30 minutes later of fulminant pneumonia.
His brother, Davide Di Nicola, wrote on Instagram, “We both grew up and matured and you, surely more mature than me, had the courage and the will to bring new goals.
“Cooking, your greatest passion would have taken you far. “