Coronavirus: Montreal police called to the home of the city’s opposition leader during the celebration – Montreal

0
89


Montreal police were called to the home of City of Montreal official opposition leader Lionel Perez during a small family celebration for his daughter’s engagement on Wednesday amid the new coronavirus pandemic.

Perez said in a statement that he, his wife and four children who live at home had a video call with his daughter and future son-in-law, who are based in New York. There was also a friend who was playing music in the driveway.

“We have not invited anyone, not even my parents who live a few streets away,” he said.

“Our neighbors on their balcony and their entrances congratulated us and some families who were walking or in their car stopped for a moment to welcome us.”

[ Sign up for our Health IQ newsletter for the latest coronavirus updates ]
READ MORE: Montreal parks will close if public does not respect coronavirus rules, warns mayor

The Quebec government has banned all large gatherings to slow the spread of COVID-19, the disease caused by the new coronavirus. As a result, police can intervene or impose fines on those who do not obey the measure.

The story continues under advertising

Montreal public health officials also called on the public to respect social distancing rules on Wednesday, citing the high number of cases in the region.

Perez said his family cooperated with the police and immediately stopped the music after arriving at his home after the call.










Coronavirus outbreak: Montreal has a total of 2,090 cases of COVID-19 while laboratories are processing the backlog of tests


Coronavirus outbreak: Montreal has a total of 2,090 cases of COVID-19 while laboratories are processing the backlog of tests

Montreal police said they could not provide more information or comment on specific cases because they were confidential.

While Perez said that social distancing guidelines had been followed during the event, he said his son, who was diagnosed with COVID-19, was temporarily released from the house. Perez said he ordered her to go inside.

They have both been self-isolated since the diagnosis of her son, according to the municipal councilor for the Darlington district of Côte-des-Neiges-Notre-Dame-de-Grâce.

READ MORE: Quebec and Montreal impose more measures to stop the spread of coronavirus

Perez said he understood that he had been advised not to organize family activities during the health crisis and that he did not expect so many neighbors to stop and congratulate them.

“I immediately recognize that if it could be done again, I would do things differently and be more careful,” he said.

See the link »

The story continues under advertising

© 2020 Global News, a division of Corus Entertainment Inc.



LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here