Coronavirus: Boris Johnson leaves intensive care but stays in hospital

0
76


Boris Johnson

Image copyright
PIPPA FOWLES / DOWNING STREET DOCUMENTATION

Legend

PM was last seen in public a week ago


Prime Minister Boris Johnson has been removed from intensive care but remains in hospital, said Downing Street.

Johnson has been receiving coronavirus treatment at London’s St Thomas’s Hospital since Sunday.

Number 10 said he “had been transferred from intensive care tonight to the ward, where he will be followed closely during the first phase of his recovery.”

A spokesperson added, “He’s in a very good mood.”

  • Live updates as UK applauds key employees
  • Raab urges UK public not to ruin foreclosure progress

He was taken to hospital on Sunday – 10 days after being tested positive – and transferred to intensive care on Monday.

He was receiving “standard oxygen treatment” in intensive care and had not been ventilated, Downing Street said earlier.

The PM “continues to improve” after a “good night” and thanked the NHS for the “brilliant care” it received, the spokesman added.

Deputy Prime Minister Dominic Raab said earlier in the daily coronavirus briefing that he had not spoken to Mr. Johnson since his admission to the hospital.

“I think it is important to let him focus on the recovery – we in government have covered that,” said Raab.

Raab added that he had “all the authority I need” to make decisions with his cabinet colleagues.

The “weekly applause for caregivers” has provided “wonderful and unifying moments” for the country, while it is hoped that millions of people will reproduce at 2000 BST, his spokesman added.

Mr. Raab and Chancellor Rishi Sunak were to participate in the demonstration of support for the health personnel.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here