The World Health Organization (WHO) said the new case had been confirmed in Beni, a community that had been the epicenter of the second deadliest Ebola outbreak in history.
WHO Regional Director for Africa, Dr Matshidiso Moeti, said she was “sad” to hear about the new case, and said that WHO was continuing to work with the Ministry of Health of the country to end Ebola.
Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus, the head of the WHO, said that Congo’s declaration of being free from Ebola was planned for Monday. “He said, however, ‘We are preparing and expecting more cases.’
The country hoped to end a global health emergency as it prepares for another – the arrival of the new coronavirus that has swept the world.
“We will just have to continue for 42 days, or the amount of time required without a case for the Ebola outbreak to be declared over,” said Mike Ryan, WHO emergency chief. “
“This may be our lesson for COVID-19: there is no exit strategy until you get the hang of it,” he added.
The Ebola epidemic has killed more than 2,260 people. The current epidemic declared in August 2018 has occurred under particularly difficult conditions amid deadly rebel attacks, suspicion from the community and some of the world’s weakest infrastructure in remote areas. Some Ebola workers have been attacked and killed.
Health workers had already turned around their Ebola message and other efforts to fight the coronavirus.
“This is a devastating development for communities in eastern Congo who are also at risk from the coronavirus epidemic, in addition to the ongoing conflicts and displacement,” said Kate Moger, regional vice-president of the International Rescue Committee. A declaration.