Confirmed cases of coronavirus in the United States exceed 800,000 and death toll reaches 42,940

0
101


Confirmed cases of coronavirus in the United States have exceeded 800,000 on Monday and recorded deaths have reached nearly 43,000, according to the latest statistics.

The past 24 hours have seen an increase of nearly 30,000 new cases of COVID-19 across the country, and another 1,080 Americans have died from the virus – bringing the number of deaths in the United States to 42,940, the highest in world.

But worrisome statistics could get worse before they get better, according to World Health Organization chief executive Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus, who warned on Monday that the worst was yet to come.

‘Trust us. The worst is yet to come, “said Ghebreyesus at a press briefing. “Let’s prevent this tragedy. It’s a virus that many people still don’t understand.

Confirmed cases of coronavirus in the United States have exceeded 800,000 on Monday and recorded deaths have reached nearly 43,000, according to the latest statistics

Confirmed cases of coronavirus in the United States have exceeded 800,000 on Monday and recorded deaths have reached nearly 43,000, according to the latest statistics

The past 24 hours have seen an increase of almost 30,000 new cases of COVID-19 across the country, with another 1,080 Americans succumbing to the fatal disease - bringing the number of deaths in the United States to 42,940, the most high of the world

The past 24 hours have seen an increase of almost 30,000 new cases of COVID-19 across the country, with another 1,080 Americans succumbing to the fatal disease – bringing the number of deaths in the United States to 42,940, the most high of the world

“Please consider those who die as individuals, these are not numbers or numbers. One life is precious, ”added Ghebreyesus.

Ghebreyesus has not said why he thinks the epidemic, which has infected some 2.5 million people worldwide and killed more than 166,000 people, is likely to worsen. He and others, however, have already pointed out the likely future spread of the disease across Africa, where health systems are much less developed.

During the press conference, Ghebreyesus compared the coronavirus pandemic to the Spanish flu epidemic of 1918, one of the deadliest pandemics in human history.

“He has a very dangerous combination and this is happening in a hundred years for the first time, like the 1918 flu that killed up to 100 million people,” said the Director-General of WHO. “But now we have the technology, we can prevent this disaster, we can prevent this kind of crisis. “

Ghebreyesus’ comments come after President Trump ceased all US funding for the WHO – of which the United States is the largest donor – citing errors in the way the organization handled the rapid response to the pandemic.

Among other things, Trump insisted that WHO had failed to adequately and timely share information about the epidemic after its eruption in China late last year.

Ghebreyesus urged global solidarity and national unity to continue fighting the virus and help limit future deaths. The world community must regard the virus as a “common enemy of humanity” in order to challenge it, he said.

In the United States, Donald Trump announced Monday that he intends to ban immigration to the United States in the midst of the coronavirus pandemic.

World Health Organization Director General Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus says worrisome statistics will continue to worsen before improving, saying the worst is yet to come

World Health Organization Director General Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus says worrisome statistics will continue to worsen before improving, saying the worst is yet to come

In the United States, Donald Trump announced Monday that he intends to ban immigration to the United States amid the coronavirus pandemic.

In the United States, Donald Trump announced Monday that he intends to ban immigration to the United States in the midst of the coronavirus pandemic.

President tweeted Monday night announcing immigration plans

President tweeted Monday night announcing immigration plans

The President tweeted: “In light of the attack on the invisible enemy, as well as the need to protect the jobs of our GREAT American citizens, I will sign an executive order to temporarily suspend immigration to the United States ! “

At least 22 million Americans are now unemployed because tough measures to control the coronavirus epidemic have wiped out 13.5% of the workforce and 10 years of job growth.

In an address to the nation last month, Trump announced a drastic ban on foreigners traveling to the United States from Europe. He had previously banned travel from China as the COVID-19 epidemic spread from the city of Wuhan.

The exact details of the latest order were not immediately clear, but migrant farm workers and doctors are said to be exempt, reports the Wall Street Journal.

The Canada-US border is already closed, most visa applications are pending, and the administration essentially shut down the country’s asylum system last month.

The White House did not comment on Trump’s latest tweet, but the order is likely to face court challenges.

The President tweeted: `` In light of the attack on the invisible enemy, as well as the need to protect the jobs of our GREAT U.S. citizens, I will sign an executive order to temporarily suspend immigration to the United States. United! ''

The President tweeted: “In light of the attack on the invisible enemy, as well as the need to protect the jobs of our GREAT American citizens, I will sign an executive order to temporarily suspend immigration to the United States ! “

At least 22 million Americans are now unemployed as tough measures to control the coronavirus epidemic have wiped out 13.5% of the workforce and 10 years of job growth

At least 22 million Americans are now unemployed as tough measures to control the coronavirus epidemic wiped out 13.5% of the workforce and 10 years of job growth

The president also hailed his own response to the coronavirus epidemic on Monday, saying he was likely to be re-elected by a “landslide”, while complaining that the number of polls for his administration’s response to the pandemic should be higher.

“A lot of people like Trump, right? Lots of people love me. You see them all the time. I guess I’m here for a reason, you know. To the best of my knowledge, I won. And I think we’re going to win again, I think we’re going to win in a landslide, “said Trump.

Yamiche Alcindor of PBS Newshour had asked the president whether by minimizing the virus – for example, without wearing a mask – he had made some people sick.

Alcindor spoke of an interview she had conducted with someone who said that her family had fallen ill “because they were listening to you” and had not taken enough precautions.

Instead of answering the question head-on, Trump spoke about his supporters and then outlined his initial action against the coronavirus, a travel ban from China in late January that excluded U.S. citizens.

“And yet, in January, on a certain date – you know the date better than I do – we banned China, where China cannot enter, and before March, we banned the ban on Europe, where the ‘Europe cannot enter,’ said Trump.

In February and March, the President made a number of questionable statements about the spread of the coronavirus and also actively pursued his campaign in early March.

When Alcindor pointed out that the president was still holding election rallies – like a March 2 rally in Charlotte, North Carolina, he would not admit that was the case.

“I really don’t know rallies. I really don’t know the rallies, “he said when she insisted he was still campaigning in March. “I know one thing that I haven’t left the White House for months,” he said, adding that the only time he had left the White House was for a trip to Norfolk, Virginia, the March 28 to bid farewell to USNS Comfort – the hospital ship bound for New York.

The president also hailed his own response to the coronavirus epidemic on Monday, saying he was likely to be re-elected by a `` landslide '', while complaining that the number of polls for his administration's response to the pandemic should be higher.

The president also hailed his own response to the coronavirus epidemic on Monday, saying he was likely to be re-elected by a “landslide”, while complaining that the number of polls for his administration’s response to the pandemic should be higher.

At another point in the briefing, Trump complained that the poll numbers for his team’s response to the coronaviruses were no higher.

“Look, I don’t understand, when I see, uh, the votes and the approval notes for the job,” he said. “This group should get a 95, it really should. And we really help the governors a lot.

Georgia Governor Brian Kemp, who shared a call with President Trump over the weekend, unveiled plans on Monday to allow some businesses shutdown amid the coronavirus pandemic to reopen by the end of the week as the state plans to cut lockdown restrictions and reopen the local economy.

Tennessee Governor Bill Lee announced Monday that businesses in the majority of the state will begin reopening next week.

And the governor of South Carolina unveils details of a program that, according to his office, will allow the state’s economy to “recover faster than any other state in the country” from the new coronavirus epidemic.

These measures are the latest indications that some states are going ahead with plans to revive economic activity despite the ongoing pandemic.

Georgia Governor Brian Kemp unveiled plans to allow businesses shutdown amid the coronavirus pandemic to reopen by the end of the week on Monday as government plans to ease restrictions locking and reopening the local economy

Georgia Governor Brian Kemp unveiled plans to allow businesses shutdown amid the coronavirus pandemic to reopen by the end of the week on Monday as government plans to ease restrictions locking and reopening the local economy

Under Kemp’s orders, gymnasiums, bowling alleys, lounges, hair salons and a number of other indoor facilities that have been closed across the state since April 2 will be allowed to reopen this Friday.

Kemp warned, however, that “it would not be as usual” because businesses can only operate if they meet social distancing requirements, sanitation mandates and meet other safety standards.

Restaurants, which have been banned from dining in person since the shelter order was posted, will be allowed to reopen on April 27 with movie theaters if they follow the guidelines the Kemp office is expected to release later this week. . The bars and nightclubs will however remain closed.

“I don’t care about politics now,” said Kemp, announcing plans outside the State Capitol on Monday.

Kemp went on to say that his main concern at the moment was that the Georgians were breaking up, worried about whether they could feed their children and pay the mortgage.

Lee, the Republican governor of Tennessee, said his compulsory home security order will expire on April 30, which will pave the way for 89 of the 95 counties in the state to begin opening businesses.

However, Lee’s announcement does not apply to state counties with the largest cities, including Davidson, Hamilton, Knox, Madison, Shelby and Sullivan counties – areas that are not supervised by the Tennessee Department of Health but have their own public health districts.

“Although I am not extending the home security order after the end of April, we are working directly with our main metropolitan areas to ensure that they are able to reopen as soon and as safely as possible,” said Lee.

Some companies will be allowed to reopen on April 27, but it is unclear which companies will be granted such permission.

Lee told reporters that the details would be finalized by his economic stimulus team later this week.

Georgia currently has nearly 19,000 confirmed cases of COVID-19 and 773 recorded deaths

Georgia currently has nearly 19,000 confirmed cases of COVID-19 and 773 recorded deaths

Most state parks will reopen on Friday.

“It will be phased, intelligent and strategic,” said Lee, noting that the state’s economy cannot survive a long-term lockdown.

Tennessee has seen nearly 324,000 jobless claims in recent weeks due to the virus that has forced the closure of hundreds of businesses across the state.

Over the weekend, a handful of protesters gathered in Nashville and Chattanooga to urge officials to reopen the economy.

State officials said on Monday that Tennessee had more than 7,200 confirmed cases of COVID-19 and at least 152 deaths.

South Carolina Governor Henry McMaster announced details of “Accelerating South Carolina” on Monday, which includes several key state leaders, including mayors, presidents of higher education institutions, owners corporate and healthcare professionals.

The group is chaired by James Burns, a lawyer and former deputy legal advisor to the Defense Department who was also chief of staff to former Governor Nikki Haley.

Its first meeting is scheduled for Thursday, and plans to hold several sessions over the next 30 days.

Tennessee Governor Bill Lee

South Carolina Governor Henry McMaster

Tennessee Governor Bill Lee (left) and South Carolina Governor Henry McMaster (right) also announced measures to gradually reopen their economies.

McMaster has repeatedly stressed his desire for a rapid but secure reopening of the state’s economy, noting the heavy toll the epidemic has had on workers and businesses.

Establishments including restaurants, bars, manufacturers, dentists’ offices and a number of others have closed for a variety of reasons, including mandatory McMaster orders issued to stem the epidemic.

“Acting too quickly would be unwise,” said the governor last week, resuming normal activity, repeatedly noting that he was confident the economy would “hum” by the end of June.

At a press conference, McMaster acknowledged that while the virus continues to spread, he believes it is essential both to manage the epidemic and to support the economy in the hope of avoiding disastrous and lasting effects.

“We are still in a very serious situation,” said McMaster. “People want to work, they have to work … and we’re going to do everything we can to see that they can do it and keep living as much as possible. “

So far, public health officials in South Carolina have reported a total of more than 4,400 cases of COVID-19, which have killed 124 people across the state.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here