CHELSEA continues to keep staff on full pay as they seek to reach an agreement with their players on a cut in pay.
On Saturday, the Blues announced that they refused to use the government leave plan, promising not to lay off full-time staff.
⚠️ Read our live blog on coronaviruses in sport for the latest news and updates
The club entered into talks with the first-team to cut their wages during the Covid-19 lockdown – with stars insisting they are ready to do their part.
Chelsea’s board of directors is continuing negotiations for the team to take a pay cut after rejecting an offer the players originally put on the table.
A statement said, “Representatives of the Chelsea board of directors recently had in-depth talks with the first men’s team to discuss how they can contribute financially to the club during the coronavirus crisis.
“The aim of these discussions was to find a meaningful partnership to ensure the preservation of staff jobs, the remuneration of fans and participation in activities for good causes.
“At the moment, the first men’s team will not contribute financially to the club and the board of directors has instead ordered the team to focus on supporting other charitable causes.
“We are grateful to the team for helping the club in its community activities and for all of the charitable causes it has supported.”
The announcement came as part of ambitious new financial plans being put in place at Stamford Bridge to fight the loss of football.
All employees will be paid in full, including casual day workers, even if no matches are played.
The long-standing investment in the running of the women’s team will continue.
Chelsea has also announced plans to reimburse all subscriber fees for each game played behind closed doors this season.
And in another gesture of support for the fans, they will reimburse the travel costs lost by the 3,800 who had bought tickets for the Champions League match canceled in Germany last month.
Captain Cesar Azpilicueta led the negotiations on behalf of the players – and made it clear that the team was ready to accept a reduction.
Azpilicueta and the other players are believed to have agreed to a 10% reduction – but a club source said, “10% have never been presented to the board. “
The statement added, “As this crisis develops, the club will continue to have conversations with the first men’s team regarding financial contributions to the club’s activities. “
No leave will be a relief for backstage staff at Chelsea.
The club said, “We will not take advantage of the government’s job retention program.
“We do not anticipate layoffs or layoffs for our full-time staff, who continue to receive their current salary.
“Casual workers and match day staff who are employed by the club are paid by us. “
CORONAVIRUS CRISIS – KNOW
Get the latest news, facts and figures on coronaviruses from around the world – as well as essential tips for you and your family.
To receive our Covid-19 newsletter in your inbox every tea hour, sign up here.
To follow us on Facebook, just like our Coronavirus page.
Chelsea were at the forefront throughout the crisis, Abramovich offering free use of the hotel at Stamford Bridge to NHS workers at local hospitals.
The press release adds: “To date, 128 rooms have been allocated. “
They pledged to provide 81,000 free meals to the NHS and charities, fund the domestic abuse group Refuge, and nominated their doctors for critical roles in the NHS.