Can we claim insurance now that travel advice is “undefined”? | Trip


“We have six weeks vacation for North America from July 4, all booked independently, “said Steven, 52, of Bromsgrove. “We fly to Canada and then do three weeks on the road, by car, through the United States and then pick up a motorhome in Canada for the final three weeks. The flights were fully paid and are not refundable. Car rental and American hotels are all fully refundable, except one, but not the motorhome.

We have to pay the balance of motorhome, booked by Authentik Canada, in June. . So far, all payments have been made by credit card. I have full travel insurance, which also covers trip interruptions. Now that government travel tips have changed, are companies forced to offer reimbursement? Or can we claim our insurance now?

The FCO’s advice against all but essential travel was issued on March 17, initially for a period of 30 days. Last weekend, he extended advice to an “indefinite” period, so no one knows when normal travel will resume. In light of this new advice, the reader could contact their airline and motorhome company to request a refund on the grounds that there is no way of knowing whether or not they can travel.

The RV company is based in Montreal and reports to the Canada Indemnity Fund for Travel Agency Customers (CFCTA). Authentik states on its website that customers may be entitled to a refund under CFCTA regulations, but it instructs customers to wait 45 days before travel due to its current volume of inquiries. If the airline and the RV supplier both refuse to offer a refund, Steven may try his insurance company. Some insurers will now pay that FCO advice is for an “indefinite” period – provided the claimant has tried their travel provider first (although, without assistance, some travel providers, including Authentik, require that clients ask their insurance provider first).

The Association of British Insurers says: “This decision [to extend the advice against all but essential travel] will allow the majority of policyholders with trip cancellation or interruption coverage in place to claim canceled trips that have already been booked and cannot continue. Some insurance policies may require claimants to wait within 30 days of their trip. Steven could also try his credit card company: under section 75 of the Consumer Credit Act 1974, purchases over £ 100 on Visa or MasterCard credit cards are protected.


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here