Latest news on the effects of the coronavirus epidemic on sports around the world:
Aston Villa players will receive a 25% pay cut to help the English Premier League club during the coronavirus outbreak.
“The first team players, the first team coaches and senior management have all agreed to defer 25% of their salary for four months to help the club during this period of uncertainty and a further review will take place at the end of this period, “said the club. CEO Christian Purslow said in a statement.
It has also been announced that a National Health Service trust will provide maternity care at Villa’s home in Birmingham after the success of a similar merger with West Bromwich Albion.
The Sandwell and West Birmingham Trust has said that Villa Park’s north stand will hold weekday clinics for pregnant women and new parents starting Monday.
French rugby player Mohamed Haouas will be free to resume play after the lockout ends by serving his three-week suspension during the lockout.
The propeller was suspended for hitting a Scottish player during their meeting with the Six Nations on March 8 at Murrayfield – the last game to be played in the competition.
The French rugby federation says that Haouas “can serve this sentence during childbirth and can therefore replay at the resumption of the sports season”.
France is in detention until May 11 due to the coronavirus pandemic.
It is not known if and when the Six Nations matches can be finished.
English Premier League (Chelsea) Chelsea has declared that it will not impose a cut on its first team and will instead ask players to continue supporting charities during the coronavirus pandemic.
Chelsea also said it would not accept full-time staff and that casual and match day workers would be paid by the club until June 30.
The Blues have started negotiations with their players on a pay cut of around 10%, with the aim of saving money during the current crisis. That’s less than the Premier League’s suggestion of 30% for all clubs, but Chelsea have now decided to take a different approach.
Highlighting the PlayersTogether initiative launched by Premier League players earlier this month to raise and distribute funds for National Health Service charities, Chelsea has asked its stars to focus on other causes .
“Representatives of the Chelsea board recently had in-depth discussions with the first men’s team to discuss how they can contribute financially to the club during the coronavirus crisis,” said a statement on the club’s website. . “At the moment, the first men’s team will not contribute financially to the club and the board of directors has instead ordered the team to focus on supporting other charitable causes. “
The British government is intensifying planning with sports organizations to resume events after the national foreclosure of the coronavirus has eased.
Government medical officials are participating in talks on the logistical and health procedures necessary to allow restarting of sports competitions.
The Premier League last played a game on March 9, and plans to start again from June 8 once pandemic social distancing rules are relaxed to allow training to resume for teams and qu ‘there will be enough COVID-19 tests available.
The national lockdown is currently in place until May 7. Cricket authorities have already said that their sport will not resume until July, but horse racing is currently not suspended until June.
British Horse Racing Authority president Annamarie Phelps tweeted on Saturday about “very welcome support for the resumption of live sports, including horse racing” by Culture Secretary Oliver Dowden, making a link to front page report of The Sun newspaper on plans to re-organize events.
Dowden updated lawmakers earlier this week on his talks with sports governing bodies.
Despite the notorious setbacks of Liverpool and Tottenham, Norwich defended its decision to place non-player personnel on leave during the coronavirus epidemic.
The Canaries are one of only two English Premier League clubs to use this program. Employees receive 80% of British government wages up to 2,500 pounds ($ 3,000), although in this case Norwich accounts for the remaining 20%.
Newcastle is the other top club to turn to the retention program while Liverpool, Tottenham and Bournemouth have flip-flopped on their decisions to put staff on leave following harsh criticism.
“The decision we made was in the interest of the club and its staff. We have been very transparent that we operate on a self-funded basis, ”said Ben Kensell, director of operations for Norwich, at BBC Radio Norfolk. “In the end, if we had the cash available so that we didn’t have to sign up for programs like other football clubs, we would. “
The last place, Norwich, which has nine games to play, forecasts a loss of 18 to 35 million pounds due to the coronavirus pandemic.
More AP sports: https://apnews.com/apf-sports and https://twitter.com/AP_Sports