Anthony Joshua’s world title defense postponed against Kubrat Pulev

0
82


British heavyweight Anthony Joshua defending his world titles IBF, WBA, WBO and IBO against the Bulgarian Kubrat Pulev has been postponed.

The bout was scheduled to take place at Tottenham Hotspur Stadium on Saturday June 20.

A statement from promoter Joshua Matchroom Boxing said that a new date for the fight “is being worked out.”

Matchroom added that it “continues to explore the possibility” of hosting the fight in the same location at a later date.

Joshua, 30, has not fought since December when he won a unanimous victory over Andy Ruiz Jr in Saudi Arabia to regain his belts after losing to the Mexican-American in New York last June.

Pulev, 38, is the mandatory challenger to Joshua’s IBF belt. He was scheduled to fight Joshua in October 2017 at the Principality of Cardiff stadium, but had to withdraw less than two weeks before the bout due to a shoulder injury.

All fighting overseen by the British Boxing Board of Control until the end of May has been suspended due to the coronavirus pandemic.

Promoter Eddie Hearn previously said Joshua v Pulev could be moved to July due to uncertainty over when Tottenham’s remaining Premier League home games will be played.

The Matchroom Boxing statement comes shortly after the Premier League announced that the football season would be suspended indefinitely.

Briton Tyson Fury, the holder of the WBC heavyweight belt – the only one Joshua does not have – is contractually obliged to have a third match with the American Deontay Wilder.

Fury defeated Wilder with a seventh round knockout in Las Vegas in February and promoter Frank Warren said he could fight again in October.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here