A look at some of the Canadians who lost their lives at COVID 19


COVID-19 has sickened and killed hundreds of thousands of Canadians from coast to coast.

Here are the stories of some of those who lost their lives:

Vicki Kap is seen in this undated photo. Vicki Kap's family thought she had a cold, but less than two days after arriving at the hospital, she was placed on a ventilator and died of COVID-19. Daughter Jody Brouwer said 75-year-old Kap started having trouble breathing before being taken by ambulance to a hospital in Sarnia, Ontario, where she would spend a week before dying on the unit intensive care. THE CANADIAN PRESS / HO * MANDATORY CREDIT *

Vicki Kap is seen in this undated photo. Vicki Kap’s family believed she had a cold, but within two days of arriving at the hospital, she was placed on a ventilator and died of COVID-19. Daughter Jody Brouwer said 75-year-old Kap started having difficulty breathing before being taken by ambulance to a hospital in Sarnia, Ontario, where she would spend a week before dying on the unit intensive care. THE CANADIAN PRESS / HO * MANDATORY CREDIT *

Vicki Kap

SARNIA, Ont. – Vicki Kap was known for her love of family, which included former refugees whom she had invited to her home for decades before dying from COVID-19.

Jody Brouwer, Kap’s daughter, remembers growing up with a Cambodian couple and their two children living in their basement.

Vicki and Frank Kap opened their hearts and their homes to people around the world, including Nicaragua, El Salvador and Syria before his death at age 75.

“We have a large extended family from all over the world,” says Brouwer.

The woman known for her big smile has spent the past four years caring for Frank, who has stage four colon cancer and is waiting to go into hospice while crying for his wife.

The couple reportedly celebrated their 54th wedding anniversary on March 26, when Kap was on a fan. She died three days later.

The family was also at the center of their last day, when they were in a medical coma.

Brouwer and his brother John Kap were at their mother’s bedside wearing personal protective equipment from head to toe. Her children shared stories with Kap and videos of her grandchildren.

Martin Postma

STRATHROY, Ont. – Martin Postma’s wife considers the month before with her husband before his death a gift because they spent time enjoying the sights of Portugal.

Mieke Postma says her 74-year-old husband had diabetes but was otherwise healthy before he developed a cough, had chills, and quickly became weaker.

At that time, he had barely enough energy to get on the stretcher when an ambulance arrived to take him to the local Strathroy hospital before being transferred the following day to the University Hospital in London, nearby.

Postma was surprised that her husband even had the energy to call her in the emergency room to tell her that the doctors planned to put him on ventilation.

But she says the last conversation, before her death on March 27 in the intensive care unit, was also a gift from the man she had married 52 years earlier.

A retired nurse, Postma says she considered the quality of life her husband would have had if he had survived while his kidneys were shutting on a ventilator and his other organs were also starting to fail.

Just before the family decided to stop treatment with the ventilator, Postma was told that her husband’s survival rate would be around 10%, and if he survived, he would need lifelong care.

“It struck me between the eyes. I thought, “This is not good. »»

Noble (Butch) Gullacher

REGINA – Noble Gullacher was a father who loved watching his sons play basketball and his grandchildren playing football.

Gullacher, known to family and friends as Butch, was a diabetic who was awaiting a kidney transplant when he was diagnosed with COVID-19 on March 19.

The 69-year-old man died on April 10 in a hospital in Regina.

Gullacher was a husband, father of two sons and grandfather of their three children.

“He was a good father, but he was a truly wonderful grandfather,” said his wife, Kathleen Gullacher. “He loved his family. “

She said it was a close-knit family who met regularly for Sunday evening dinners.

Gullacher also loved racing cars and trapping.

“He liked to be active,” she said. “He loved going out and doing things. “

Gullacher retired after having been a conductor at CP Rail for 35 years.

Deb Diemer

CALGARY – Mike and Deb Diemer expected 2020 to be the best year of their lives.

On March 19, Deb Diemer was diagnosed with COVID-19. She died on March 30.

“My in-laws lost a daughter, my sisters-in-law lost a sister, I lost a wife and my daughter lost her mother,” said Diemer.

Doctors had always followed his wife’s health closely after she was diagnosed with primary pulmonary hypertension in 1986.

Diemer said she was able to keep the disease under control with medication until the end of 2001. She was able to get a double lung transplant months later in 2002.

About six weeks before her death, she had a kidney transplant thanks to a donation from her older sister, Kathy Ziegler.

Diemer said his wife had only mild symptoms of COVID-19 and that his doctors recommended that she stay home to recover because she had no trouble breathing and could speak in full sentences.

But she quickly deteriorated and went into medical distress at home, he said. Doctors later told her that she died a few hours after the virus attacked her heart.

“My wife is an Irish redhead and she never backed down from a fight,” said Diemer.

“Each time, she did not complain. She just faced everything she faced and kept going. We thought she would also beat COVID-19. “

Wade kidd

WINNIPEG – Wade Kidd had an absolute love for life.

His family said in a statement that Kidd started to develop flu-like symptoms on March 18 and was hospitalized on March 27 where his condition deteriorated rapidly.

The grandfather, father and husband died on April 2, about a month before his 55th birthday.

Kidd had underlying health issues, however, in general, he was healthy and active, his family said.

He could fix everything and liked to camp. He was a loving husband and a proud father of his two sons. Her love for her two young grandchildren knows no bounds, said her family.

“His monster hugs made us feel safe and his laid back manner kept us calm during times of stress,” wrote his wife.

Kidd was a private person, but the family wanted to share his story. Her family said they hoped it would convince everyone to stay at home so other families wouldn’t have to endure what they are facing, crying without having the opportunity to have a funeral.

“It was a stable ship in a mad storm, and now it’s gone. Now this storm threatens to engulf us. “

Shawn Auger

HIGH PRAIRIE, Alta. – Shawn Auger, father of three, died on March 30 at the age of 34.

His wife, Jennifer Auger, said that her husband began to develop symptoms on March 13 and was diagnosed on March 16. He was hospitalized shortly after and died on March 30.

She says he was particularly affected because of the illness he had asthma.

“He was also a big guy, like a teddy bear,” she says.

Shawn Auger was involved in youth hockey and worked at the Youth Assessment Center in High Prairie, Alberta, about 370 kilometers northwest of Edmonton. His wife says a position has been created especially for him to help young people leave the facility.

“He liked this job,” she said. “He loved it because he got to meet new people, talk to young people and mean something to them. “

She says her husband went to school to become a police officer and held various positions, including at Edmonton Institution, before deciding to work with young people.

“He wanted to work with young people … to make a difference, so they didn’t end up in prison or anything like that. “

She says that she and her husband recently bought a house in the High Prairie area to renovate it and turn it into a group home.

It’s something she plans to carry on in her memory.

“Thanks to all of this, we haven’t lost Shawn,” she said. “We have won a fight, care, a wonderful angel … and he is still working beyond that. “

Alice grove

NORTH BATTLEFORD, Sask. – Alice Grove was a 75-year-old widow who lived alone on a farm in west-central Saskatchewan.

Her sister Eleanor Widdowson said Grove, a former nursing assistant at Saskatchewan Hospital, was having difficulty breathing and collapsed at her home on March 28. She died in hospital the next day.

The sisters last met again on March 13 when they met for coffee in nearby North Battleford.

Widdowson believes his sister contracted the virus on one of her many city trips.

“We warned her and warned her and invited her to stay at home,” Widdowson told CKOM Saskatoon radio station. “But she felt lonely. Anyone would, living alone on a farm. “

Grove’s battle with COVID-19 has been hampered by diabetes, says Widdowson. Grove had also survived a battle with cancer.

In the end, Widdowson says she made the decision to remove Grove from resuscitation.

“You have to be reasonable about it and not take treatment away from a 35-year-old woman who could get better, when you know the 75-year-old woman is not going to get better.” “

Dr Denis Vincent

NORTH VANCOUVER, B.C. – Dr. Denis Vincent is remembered as a dedicated dentist who made patient care and safety his top priority.

Vincent was 64 when he died on March 22 after attending the Pacific Dental Conference, which attracted approximately 15,000 people.

Family lawyer Bettyanne Brownlee says Vincent has been diligent in adhering to recommended infection control practices throughout his career of more than 40 years. He quarantined himself when he died.

She says that Vincent cared deeply about people, had a great sense of humor and his two great loves went skiing and sailing with friends and family.

“He was extremely proud of his sons, who will keep their memories close as they come to terms with their father’s absence from adult life,” said Brownlee.

Mariette Tremblay

MONTREAL – Mariette Tremblay’s granddaughter says that her 82-year-old grandmother was a caring woman who was loved by everyone.

In the Facebook post, Bibianne Lavallee said that her grandmother had suffered from respiratory problems and, when the virus struck, she was vulnerable. His death was reported by Quebec health authorities on March 18.

Lavallee says that Tremblay fell ill before Quebec began to take exceptional measures to fight the spread of the virus.

“Unfortunately, by the time all the measures were announced and taken, it was too late to spare my grandmother,” says Lavallee. “When her diagnosis was announced, she was already doomed. “

Lavallee urges people to follow the recommendations of public health officials.

“We did not have a chance to save grandmother. But you have the chance to make a difference now that we know; now that we know the damage caused by this pandemic, “she said.

“Everything must be done to prevent human tragedies like the one we are experiencing from continuing to multiply. We want the death of my grandmother, the first victim in Quebec of COVID-19, to help save lives. “

This report from The Canadian Press was first published on April 9, 2020.


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here