2022 World Cup in Qatar: New Bribes and Corruption Complaints by US Prosecutors | Football News

0
99


In December 2015, the head of Qatar 2022 declared that the country had been unjustly `` isolated '' for his critics

In December 2015, the head of Qatar 2022 declared that the country had been unjustly “isolated” for his critics

Prosecutors have filed new allegations of bribes paid to members of the FIFA executive committee to vote for Qatar to host the 2022 World Cup.

An indictment released Monday in a US district court in Brooklyn alleges that Nicolas Leoz, then president of the South American football governing body CONMEBOL, and former president of the Brazilian federation Ricardo Teixeira have accepted pots- of wine to vote for the Gulf State at the 2010 FIFA Executive Committee meeting.

The indictment also alleges that Jack Warner of Trinidad and Tobago, who was chairman of the CONCACAF governing body in North and Central America and the Caribbean, received $ 5 million (4, £ 1 million) in bribes to vote for Russia’s hosting of the 2018 World Cup.

The president of the Guatemalan federation, Rafael Salguero, has also been promised a bribe of 1 million dollars (£ 815,000) to vote for Russia, according to the indictment, a third project updated in this case, which alleges a total of 53 counts of illegal behavior.

The document also alleges a series of North American and South American broadcasting rights bribery offenses for the 2018 and 2022 tournaments, including events that enabled the Fox network to obtain the right to broadcast these competitions in the United States.

The document also alleges a series of corruption offenses in the context of broadcasting rights

The document also alleges a series of bribery offenses under broadcasting rights

The case was brought to the United States after law enforcement agencies, led by the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI), undertook to investigate allegations of corruption in world football, in particular concerning the 2018 and 2022 World Cups.

Leoz died last August after avoiding extradition to the United States. Warner and Teixeira also avoided extradition.

Salguero pleaded guilty in 2018 to two counts of wire fraud conspiracy and one of racketeering and money laundering conspiracy counts.

Warner is said to have received a bribe for its vote in Russia from 10 separate front companies in countries such as Anguilla, Cyprus and the British Virgin Islands.

“Profits and kickbacks in international football have been deeply entrenched and commonly known for decades,” said William F Sweeney, deputy director in charge of the FBI’s New York office, in a statement released by the US Attorney’s Office in the Eastern District of New York.

Qatar won the right to host the 2022 tournament by 14-8 vote

Qatar won the right to host the 2022 tournament by 14-8 vote

FIFA awarded Fox rights to 2026 World Cup without tender

FIFA grants Fox rights to 2026 World Cup without tender

After the 2022 tournament in Qatar is postponed from summer to late fall, a time when it is likely to receive less attention than normal in the United States due to clashes with the NFL, FIFA granted Fox the rights to the 2026 World Cup without tendering.

The former charge is also the former managing director of Imagina Media Audiovisual, Gerard Romy, and the Uruguayan sports marketing company Full Play Group SA.

The indictment includes charges of wire fraud and money laundering. The charges against Romy and Full Play also allege a racketeering plot.

The indictment, detailed in the statement from the US prosecutor’s office, indicates that Lopez and Martinez joined Full Play and other co-conspirators in a scheme involving the annual payment of millions of dollars in bribes to CONMEBOL managers in exchange for broadcasting rights on South America. the club’s major tournament, the Copa Libertadores.

“Lopez and Martinez have also counted on the loyalty guaranteed by the payment of bribes to certain CONMEBOL officials to advance Fox’s commercial interests, in particular to obtain confidential information on the auctions for tournament broadcasting rights of the 2018 and 2022 World Cup in the United States, rights that Fox has successfully obtained, “said the press release.

In July 2015, the head of Russia 2018 declared Sky Sports News that the computers used in the tendering process were not deliberately destroyed.

In December 2015, the head of Qatar 2022 said the country had been unfairly “distinguished” from critics.

In June 2017, FIFA released the 430-page report by Michael Garcia and Dr. Cornel Brobely on the investigation into the bid process for the 2018/2022 FIFA World Cup.

The report found no evidence that the 2018 Russia and Qatar 2022 offers had used bribes to get votes.

Sky Sports News contacted Russia 2018 and Qatar 2022 to respond to the indictment.



LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here