From a Bengal perspective, the first round of the project went as well as it could have been. The worst thing that happened to the Bengals all night was Patrick Queen going to the Ravens.
The Bengals blocked Joe Burrow, which was completely predictable, but a major victory nonetheless.
After the first pick, the NFL has kindly left a number of prospects for the Bengals to grab at number 33. Josh Jones, Denzel Mims and Zach Baun are surprisingly still on the board and are prime targets for Cincinnati. They probably thought that only one of them would still be there; now they have the luxury of choosing one.
The first question is who will they choose? The second is whether or not they will trade. They did it three times in a row, so it’s not a stretch.
If the Bengals love Baun, they will keep their place because the teams behind them also need this position. However, if the Bengals have an eye on Jones or Mims, they could trade a few points and wait for them to land there.
Or, the Bengals may respect the talent at 33 and don’t want to risk another team rushing in and making their choice. First choice in the second round is basically a first round choice, so the Bengals can stick with it.
Now, here’s a simulated projection of the second round of the NFL draft:
33. Cincinnati Bengals: Denzel Mims, WR, Baylor
34. Indianapolis Colts (f / WAS): Laviska Shenault Jr., WR, Colorado
35. Detroit Lions: Zach Baun, EDGE, Wisconsin
36. NY Giants: Marlon Davidson, EDGE, Auburn
37. New England Patriots (f / LAC): A.J. Epenesa, EDGE, Iowa
38. Carolina Panthers: Jaylon Johnson, BC, Utah
39. Miami Dolphins: From Andre Swift, RB, Georgia
40. Houston Texans (f / ARI): Ross Blacklock, DT, TCU
41. Cleveland Browns: Xavier McKinney, S, Alabama
42. Jacksonville Jaguars: Grant Delpit, S, LSU
43. Chicago Bears (f / LV): Trevon Diggs, BC, Alabama
44. Indianapolis Colts: Jalen Hurts, QB, Oklahoma
45. Tampa Bay Buccaneers: J.K. Dobbins, RB, Ohio State
46. Denver Broncos: Kristian Fulton, CB, LSU
47. Atlanta Falcons: Yetur Gross-Matos, EDGE, Penn State
48. NY Jets: Michael Pittman Jr., WR, USC
49. Pittsburgh Steelers: Justin Madubuike, DT, Texas A&M
50. Chicago Bears: Antoine Winfield Jr., S, Minnesota
51. Dallas Cowboys: Lloyd Cushenberry, C, LSU
52. LA Rams: Bryce Hall, BC, Virginia
53. Philadelphia Eagles: Logan Wilson, LB, Wyoming
54. Buffalo Bills: Julian Okwara, EDGE, Notre Dame
55. Baltimore Ravens (f / NE via ATL): Chase Claypool, WR, Notre Dame
56. Miami Dolphins (f / NO): Jeremy Chinn, S, southern Illinois
57. LA Rams (f / HOU): Curtis Weaver, EDGE, State of Boise
58. Minnesota Vikings: Cameron Dantzler, BC, Miss State
59. Seattle Seahawks: Josh Jones, OT, Houston
60. Baltimore Ravens: Robert Hunt, G, Louisiana
61. Tennessee Titans: Neville Gallimore, DT, Oklahoma
62. Green Bay Packers: Van Jefferson, WR, Florida
63. Kansas City Chiefs (f / SF): Matt Hennessy, C, Temple
64. Seattle Seahawks (f / KC): K.J. Hamler, WR, Penn State