Princess Cruises guests allowed to leave ship, global cases rise above 60,300

0
3


A man pushes a man in a wheelchair in front of a propaganda banner on a wall in a hutong, following an epidemic of the new coronavirus in the country, in Beijing, China, on February 11, 2020. The Chinese characters on the banner read: "Reinforce yourself don't panic, believe in science, don't spread rumors".Tingshu Wang | Reuters
This is a live blog. Please check back for updates.All times below are Eastern Time.

Total number of confirmed cases: more than 60,300
Total number of deaths: at least 1,369

7:58 a.m. New York small business chief: Chinatown is hard hit by fears of coronavirus

Small businesses in New York's Chinatown are losing customers due to unfounded fears of coronavirus, the city's small business owner told CNBC "Squawk Box" "Business owners tell us revenues are down 40% in Chinatown, "said Gregg Bishop, commissioner of the Department of Small Business Services. "And it is unfounded. "The city on Wednesday confirmed that the seven people suspected of having the virus in the city tested negative. -Bursztynsky

7:02 a.m .: Princess Cruises says passengers can quarantine ship in Japan as crates climb 44

Japanese health officials plan to move guests aboard a Princess Cruises ship to quarantine facilities in Japan as they confirm an additional 44 cases aboard the ship, the company said. Princess Cruises has been advised that the "most medically vulnerable" guests will move in the first phase, including seniors with pre-existing conditions. Japanese health officials will examine the guests before disembarking and will transfer them to local hospitals if they are positive. Customers who are otherwise in good health will be transferred to a quarantine facility or may remain on board until the end of the quarantine period, the company said. The 44 new cases aboard the ship bring the total number of confirmed COVID-19 infections to nearly 220, making it the highest concentration of cases outside of China. - Kopecki

6:03 p.m .: Chinese smartphone maker Xiaomi warns of first-quarter smartphone success

Smartphone maker Xiaomi CEO said disruption caused by coronavirus outbreak could impact first quarter sales, but CEO Lei Jun said Thursday he thought demand would rebound in second and third quarters. "Due to the epidemic of (the) virus, smartphone sales in the first quarter of this year will face an impact, but we believe they will respond in the second and third quarters. Overall, the impact might not be so serious, "the CEO said, according to a translation of his company comments provided to Arjun Kharpal of CNBC.

5:48 p.m. Japan to spend 10.3 billion yen ($ 93.9 million) on coronavirus, says Abe

Japanese Prime Minister Shinzo Abe said Thursday that the government would decide on Friday to spend 10.3 billion yen of the country's budget to respond to the coronavirus, Reuters reported. Measures to fight the epidemic will total 15.3 billion yen, he added after a meeting of the task force.

5:26 p.m .: Travel recession spreads from China to Asia-Pacific region, data says

Coronavirus Drops Travel Demand Across the Asia-Pacific Region, Data Released Thursday By Travel Analysis Company ForwardKeys, The Region Dropping 10.5% In Foreign Travel Reservations For March and April, excluding travel to and from China and Hong Kong. As of February 9, the decline appears to be most marked in Northeast Asia, where overseas bookings for March and April are 17.1% behind the same period last year.

Read CNBC coverage of the CNBC Asia-Pacific team overnight here: China confirms 15,152 new cases, 254 additional deaths

Reuters and CNBC’s Jessica Bursztynsky, Holly Ellyatt, Weizhen Tan and Christine Wang contributed to this article.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here